Top

Early Monday morning about 3:30am, Lori woke me up telling me that she thought that she might be in labor (which I thought was funny). We rushed around and got to the hospital and our little baby girl, Grace, was born pretty quickly at around 7:30am.

After she was born, they took her away for the initial routine tests that they do, and started to look concerned. They told us that she wasn’t breathing very well and even with oxygen right in her nose, they were having trouble getting her O2 rate where it needed to be, and wanted to take her directly to the NICU.

Them helping her with oxygen right after birth

They did allow Lori to hold her for maybe a minute before they took her away, but they seemed to be in a rush to get her to the NICU to try and stabilize her.

Once there, they were able to get her stabilized and began running tests for their suspicion of a Group B Strep infection.

At this point they were telling us that they were probably keep her there in the NICU for a few hours until they could determine what it was.

This soon turned into a day, then 3, then 7, and now they are talking up to 14 days that they want to keep her in the NICU.

On Day 2 they confirmed that she indeed had the infection (which they were already pretty sure about), and thankfully had already started the antibiotic treatment.

They placed her in an incubator with a space-helmet looking thing on her, a feeding tube, an IV, and all sorts of other wires hooked up to her as they tried to get her O2 saturation up. It wasn’t exactly what we had pictured it being like.

Finally, this morning, Day 3, they told us that she was able to breathe on her own and that we could hold her and that Lori could feed her. It felt good to finally be able to have her in our arms.

Right now, she is still hanging on, and we are just waiting around to see how the infection spreads.

There seem to be 3 routes it can take from here:

  1. Staying under control with the current antibiotics
  2. Spreading to her blood and causing sepsis
  3. It could then begin to spread around to other organs and most importantly to her brain, causing Meningitis, or her lungs and cause Pneumonia.

We should know more in the morning, when we get blood tests back in the morning to show if the infection has spread to her blood, and if so, how strong it is.

“Grace” seems to be an appropriate name for a time like this. We are thankful that He has given us a daughter and are trusting Him for what He has in store.

We are learning a few things about Trust through this:

We trust Him, not trust that He will do what we desire Him to do.

He is the One that with infinite wisdom is in complete control. So, while we are asking Him to heal Grace, our faith is in Him because more than a divine genie, He is our loving Father that leads us through times of trial and gives grace in great abundance, conforming us to His image.

And that is the real gift.

If you want to keep up with how things progress, we are sharing the details onFacebook, and ask that you would pray with us for our little daughter, Grace.

Another complication is the medical expenses that come with days spent in the NICU. It is looking like it will be at least $7500 out of pocket at this point that we are asking the Lord to provide, and we would greatly appreciate your prayers about this. If you would like to help, you can at the bottom of this page or give through Vision Baptist Missions.

I want to thank all of you that have already contacted us to let us know that you are praying. It has been a huge encouragement, and we are very grateful.

Leave a Reply