What Is Man’s Final Destination?
Man’s final destination is determined by what his relationship is with Jesus Christ. Those who repent of their sins, believe Jesus is the Son of God, and confess Him as Lord and Savior will live eternally with Him in the Kingdom of God. They will live in eternal enjoyment with God. Those who reject Jesus or those who die in their sins will be eternally separated from God in the Lake of Fire. They will receive eternal punishment.
The Final Judgments
- The Great White Throne Judgment: For unbelievers, God will bring every work into judgment, good and bad. They will be righteously judged for their works and for rejecting Christ, then punished accordingly.
Ecclesiastes 12:14; Revelation 20:12; Romans 2:8
- The Judgment Seat of Christ: For believers, God already punished Jesus in their place for the evil works when He died on the cross. Therefore, they will not be judged for punishment but for reward. Their good works will be judged and rewarded.
John 5:24; Romans 8:1; 2 Corinthians 5:10; 1 Corinthians 3:12–15
- The question is often asked: “Why does God allow evil to exist today?” God has allowed mankind to have free will and make his own decisions. Mankind turned from God, and thus, evil exists in our world today. In the final judgment, God will punish everyone for their evil deeds. There will be justice for all mankind at that time. No evil will go unpunished.
Psalm 92:15; Romans 12:19; Colossians 3:25
The Final Punishment: The Lake Of Fire (Hell)
- Finally, Death, Hell, and all unbelievers will be thrown in the lake of fire for all eternity. Everyone who does not confess Jesus as Lord will experience this death as their righteous punishment for their evil works and rebellion against God.
Revelation 20:14; 21:8
The Final Reward: The Kingdom Of God (Heaven)
- The Bible presents Heaven as the place where God resides. All believers will eternally live with God and live under His reign; therefore, we say that we will go to Heaven or the Kingdom of God.
Matthew 6:9; 1 Peter 3:22; Revelation 21:2
- As believers, we long for the new Heaven and new Earth. We strive to do good and store up treasure in Heaven. We desire to live holy and righteous lives, knowing we will be rewarded in the end.
Matthew 6:20; 2 Peter 3:11, 13
- Because everything will be made new and there is no sin, we will be able to fully enjoy many things. We will ultimately enjoy our relationship with God.
Revelation 19:9; 22:1-3; Luke 22:18
The Final Events: When Will All Of This Happen?
- The Bible says that Jesus is coming back. No one knows the exact time when Jesus will return. He could come back anytime. After His return, we will be judged.
John 14:3; Mark 13:32
- We can only make the decision to repent and trust Jesus in this life now. After we die or He returns, we cannot change our minds. The decision to follow Jesus should not be taken lightly because your eternal destination depends on it.
- God is loving and patient. He is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. He is seeking those who are willing to respond to Him by faith. He does not rejoice in the death of the wicked, but He does rejoice in the salvation of a sinner.
Luke 15:1–32; 2 Peter 3:9; Ezekiel 33:11; Isaiah 62:5
- What are the final judgments?
- How will God punish unbelievers for their evil works?
- How will God punish believers for their evil works?
- What is man’s final destination? How do you know?
- When is Jesus coming back?